Friday, March 4, 2011

2011: There Is No "Im" For "Possible."

Well, everyone knows that reality has already been shattered with the announcement of Duke Nukem Forever. Its impending release must have opened the way for other events of the supernatural nature to occur, because George RR Martin has finally released a concrete release date for A Dance With Dragons. After years of general "maybe next year" statements, author of the The Song of Ice and Fire series is boldly announcing that July 12th will be the date his novel can be picked up in stores.

Any one familiar with the Game of Thrones fanbase knows that the past few years have put everyone on edge. They have survived on a slight hope that Martin will finish his series, although many were afraid that Martin, in his older age and heavier lifestyle, would perish before anything happens. There are two more planned books in the series after this fifth one, but many are delighted to finally just get there hands on A Dance With Dragons. For fans that now feel pumped for this epic release, I suggest rereading the series and catching the HBO series A Game of Thrones. These next few months should prove interesting.



I mentioned the release of Duke Nukem Forever earlier, and I thought I should also touch upon that and share my own insight. After all of the years of screenshots and news about a possible sequel for Nukem, it is certainly great to see this announced the way it was. Instead of sending out a trailer or great-looking pictures, the makers brought the game to PAX west and let people play it. I would like to see more people do this with their games. Showing a cool trailer definitely grabs people's attentions and hypes up the game, but announcing it through gameplay? That is the true way to gain support and attention. This way, the fans KNOW it will be fun. They could have just made another standard brown first person shooter with action movie one-liners and it would have sold for Duke, but instead they actually put in the effort to produce a fun game with a legendary figure from gaming history. I eagerly await this game, and hopefully things like pigs flying don't happen just yet.



To anyone who doesn't know about either subject I talked about in this post, do yourself a big favor and read the Song of Ice and Fire series or download Duke Nukem 3D. They're a good time killer, and worth the effort.

32 comments:

  1. The whole Duke Nukem Forever thing is especially funny to me, because I never got into Duke Nukem and watching people flip out over announcements every two or three years is just amazing.

    My favorite element of all this is a single webcomic that speculated that Halo 1-3 in entirety was secretly Duke Nukem Forever and that MC, himself, was Duke Nukem. I'm not a huge Halo fan either (in fact write me off FPS), but that speculation is definitely well thought out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to see more people do this with their games. Showing a cool trailer definitely grabs people's attentions and hypes up the game, but announcing it through gameplay? That is the true way to gain support and attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like everyone else said, showing it via gameplay was a good idea, and its nice to see an fps that has more then the standard guns that we have been getting as of late

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post, it makes me want to play Duke Nukem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never saw the big deal with duke nukem, but good post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. chew bubble gum with duke nukem nice post +followed

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've already wasted way to much time with Duke Nukem in my youth, thank you though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. my friend John was a big fan of Duke Nukem when he was younger, I bet he can't wait to play the new one

    ReplyDelete
  9. When are they going to make a duke nukem movie?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Still waiting for that duke nukem...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm going to be different and say that I'm pumped for Game of Thrones and Dance with Dragons, can't believe the book release will be so soon. I actually have videos and have been talking about it a bit on my blog too, such a good series. GRRM is called the American JRR Tolkien for a reason. Really hope he finishes before dying, but the saying is that "Everytime you ask when the next book comes out, GRRM kills a Stark."

    ReplyDelete
  12. Also, there's no "com" for ment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabi got right about it. It's funny how people can be fanatics of Duke Nukem. I played 3D and forgot about it. How long can we wait :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like your blog, check mine out.

    1+ Follower

    ReplyDelete
  15. duke nukem truely is taking forever to finish

    ps. damn you word verification

    ReplyDelete
  16. Duke Nukem better be sold to me in a diamond case...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I used to play Duke Nukem when I was like 8 or 9. Probably a bad choice for my parents to let me. I could never understand the ladies on the game.

    I'll keep following! follow me at allaboutserialkillers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. showing gameplay is key, Its like admiting your're not hiding anything.

    followed.
    vashrave.blotspot.com :]

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nothing is impossible indeed! followed! alphabetalife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. i CANNOT wait for Duke Nukem forever, it will be amazing

    ReplyDelete
  21. duke nukem...not my style but cool :p

    ReplyDelete
  22. Duke Nukem is soooo funny. but the first game got kinda old fast. not enough room in the game itself to add too much variation on what he said.

    ReplyDelete