Monday, May 2, 2011

Issue #4: Regeneration

So looking back at what my viewer's comments had to say, readers enjoy it when I talk about video games and television. I guess thats a good thing, because those are some of my favorite hobbies. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to look at other stuff, just that I'm going to stop writing about "I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING."

On to the interesting stuff. I want to talk about extended edition movies. I was able to, in the past week, watch all three Lord of the Rings movies in their special extended cut versions. Each movie was cut into two discs each, and each dvd had about two hours worth of glorious, medieval fantasy action. These versions are in no way new to now, and it might not be very relevant to current trends, but the idea of re-releasing movies full to bursting with extra content seems too good to not be a common thing. These pieces of removed content are just as polished as the rest of the scenes, and in some cases, it improves the overall plot. And even when the previously-cut scenes weren't important to the plot, they ended up being interesting. And often enough, they were funny. I can't even imagine what person convinced Peter Jackson to cut out the scene where Legolas drinks Gimli under the table.

Every other movie released on DVD and Blu-Ray advertises extended openings or content that wasn't in the theatrical version, but more movies should be released with their full content. Could you imagine if Kick-Ass was an hour longer because of more antics of trying to be a super hero? Or maybe a re-release of the Matrix trilogy, full of new scenes of Neo kicking ass?

Comment with movies you think should be released with extended content. Or say why you think they shouldn't be.

17 comments:

  1. I love checking out alternate endings and stuff. I agree that the DVD/Blu-rays should have the extended movie on it. I'd like to see some stuff that maybe didn't make it into the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think movies should be released with extended content. Why the hell not?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you have enough time to watch all three movies with the Extensions? LOL. I would need three weeks to do that! Which by the way, now that you remind me, I am getting right on that. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. good point on the matrix being re-released....just the first one though haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could really get behind them re releasing the matrix! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. ^I'm with Zombie, I'd love a re-released box set!

    ReplyDelete
  7. they should just put it all out at once, THIS IS THE VERSION YOU DIDNT SEE IN THEATERS!!

    ...damn i paid 10$ to watch an unfinished film..fml

    ReplyDelete
  8. This reminds me of the DLC arguments... although it's great to get these extended cuts after the film has been out for a while, it really is down to the directors discretion as to whether or not a scene is included in the film. It can really change the flow and pacing and while a hardcore fan wants to see everything, not everyone would be interesting in additional backstory etc

    ReplyDelete
  9. They should release everything they have at the first DVD sale. Alternate endings, extended/deleted scenes, and the like. The only reason they wait and rerelease a director's cut is for more money, and its just greed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Batman (the new ones) with all the removed content. that would be a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with you! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I recently watched LoTR Trilogy extended edition was amazing!

    ReplyDelete